DEPARTMENT OF INSECT ECOLOGY
Functions and tasks:
To research the diversity and applied taxonomy of natural enemies of pest in the agro-ecosystem.
To study the population structure, development of natural enemies of pest on agricultural systems.
To conduct ecological studies for the strategies of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in Viet Nam.
The department staff have coordinated and participated in the implementation of various research programs and projects (national and international). Some of these include the following:
- National Program 48.01.04.01 (Biology for Agriculture) which provided scientific information of the most important groups of biological agents for control of pests on rice and jute crops (1981-1985).
- National Program KT.02.07 on the sustainable use of bio-resources in Viet Nam.
- The National Program for fundamental research on ecology and biology of important insects in tropical habitats of Viet Nam (1986-1990).
- The National Project to survey and inventory for the beneficial invertebrates in the typical agricultural ecosystems of Red River delta and their prospects for use in Viet Nam (1995-1997).
- The National Project to survey and inventory for the beneficial invertebrates and prospects for their use in the montane agricultural ecosystems in Hoa Binh Province (1999-2000).
- The National Project ""Fauna and Flora of Viet Nam""(supported by the Ministry of Science Technology (2002-2005).
- The National Fundamental Program for Natural Science (since 1996) There are currently over 300 scientific papers published. Research work of the Department focuses on parasitoid groups such as Braconidae, Ichneumonidae, and predator groups as Vespidae, Coccinelidae, Reduviidae, Carabidae and spiders Araneae.
Hymenoptera Department of the Zoological Institute (Russian Academy of Science); Division of invertebrates (American Museum of Natural History, New York, USA); Department of Entomology - National Museum of Natural History, Leiden (The Netherlands) and Guandong Entomological Institute (China), Zhiejang Agricultural University (China), Nanning Agricultural Academy (China) and the other Universities in Japan.
Head of department: Superior researcher, PhD. Pham Quynh Mai. Tel: +84-4-37914828; +84-(0)904575215. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice head of department: Superior researcher, Assoc.Prof. Dr. Nguyen Thi Phuong Lien. Tel: +84-4-38361440; +84-(0)917327699. Email: email@example.com